Saturday, March 17, 2012

Freezer Paper Stencil


Freezer Paper Stencils

1. Choose a design for your shirt. Choose something that is solid shape, like a silhouette. You may choose to do words as well but they can be more difficult.

2. Trace this symbol/ shape onto a piece of freezer paper (trace on the paper side, not the waxy side). If the shape is not too complex you may be able to free hand it. For my mockingjay shirt, I projected the image onto my TV using an HDMI cord from my computer. I taped my freezer paper to the TV and traced (very carefully as my husband reminded me every 60 seconds to not push too hard)

3. With an exacto knife or small scissors, cut along the lines. The white pieces are the ones that you want for your stencil. You can use the dark pieces but your final product will be opposite of the picture. Make sure you leave your outside border large enough to protect most of the shirt.

4. On high heat, iron the pieces (waxy side down) in place on your shirt. The waxy side will adhere to the shirt. Be careful that they are in the right place! You really only get one good iron.

5. Place a piece of cardboard inside of your shirt to keep the paint from soaking through. Spray paint a light layer. Let dry and repeat as many times as you would like. The more paint, the stiffer the shirt will be. You can also use acrylic paint.

6. When completely dry, peel off the freezer paper.


No comments:

Post a Comment